Monday, February 22, 2010

The stuff you listen to...

Do you think your music reflects your personality?

Recently I've rediscovered F.I.R, a band I used to listen to when I was what. Thirteen? Fourteen? They were literally the only Chinese group I ever liked, and probably will always be since my taste in music has changed drastically since then. Crashing cymbals and guitar riffs have long since drowned out melodious voices and cutesy bopping in the background. But I suppose a part of me will always have a soft spot for bubblegum pop- if you can really call it that. Because what are genres, really, if not means to limit the reaches of a song?

I still haven't done that freaking essay, so here's some F.I.R to keep you busy while I drag Jasamine's ass to McDonald's, play some tetris, chat to people on MSN and gain about a zillion kilograms in the process. After all, I have until Wednesday to get my ass into gear. Hard work pays off tomorrow, but procrastination pays off today. So why wait?

... I got that last line off a T-shirt in Camden Market by the way. Yes, that is where I gather most of my genius. T-shirt slogans.









The optimism. The sheer levels of happy. They kill me with the feeling they give off that everything is going to be all right, there's a wide horizon in the distance and that all your dreams are going to come true. Not quite sugar and lollipops but maybe citrus fruits and minty breath- I was like that when I was fourteen, and I'd like to go back to being like that now. Where everyone was good deep down, where I didn't second-guess everyone I met, where it didn't matter that I could cry a river in public and drown my sorrows in tears.

When did I become like this? When did the happiness suddenly manifest a darker side, one full of anger and pent-up rage? Not that the happy isn't still there- it's still what dominates, what holds me to be true. But where's the trust? The naiveté? The feeling that I was number one?

... Where?

No comments:

Post a Comment